Dynamic agrivoltaics is a production system combining, over one surface, a crop and photovoltaic solar panels, raised above ground and controlled according to the physiological needs of the plants. This technological innovation allows:
- Primarily: to improve farm production by modifying the climate over the plants
- Secondarily: to produce clean, renewable and competitive electricity
Agrivoltaic technology uses the principles of intercropping. Several varieties are farmed on one surface of land and over several levels, thus creating a synergy between the crops:
- One lower level for farm production
- One top level with a photovoltaic system installed on a supporting structure, roughly 4.5m above ground
The agrivoltaic structure is built so as to enable agricultural machinery to drive under to carry out some of the works (preparation of ground, treatments, harvest…).
In order to systematically improve farm productions for full sun crops, shade provided to the plants can be controlled at any time by controlling the photovoltaic panels :
By bringing real benefits to farming, a photovoltaic system both meets the challenges of tomorrow’s agriculture and solves the issues of the production channels: wine-growing, tree crops and undercover market gardening.
Adapting to climate change is at the heart of the farmers’ concerns
- Protection against climate variations
- Controlling temperature and light
- Support structure for protective nets (anti-hail, anti-rain, anti-insects…)
Need to sustainably manage water usage
- Reducing water consumption for plants by limiting evapotranspiration thanks to controlled shading
- Alternative to irrigation on isolated sites (with no access to water)
- Maintaining yields while avoiding loss related to water stress
Increasingly fiercer competition on farming markets
- Optimization of the value of farm production: quantity and/or quality
- Reduction of operating costs without modifying farming practices: insurance, irrigation, protection, trellising, losses,..
- Suitable shift of harvest periods
- Positioning on more advantageous marketing periods